Named for Henry W. Grady, editor of The Atlanta Constitution and a proponent of a "New South" in the post-Civil War era, Grady High School has a long tradition of producing leaders for our city, state and nation.
Noted architect Philip Shutze of Hentz, Reid and Adler designed the 1924 building that faces Charles Allen Drive. Originally the Henry W. Grady High School for Boys (Boys’ High), the school merged with both Tech High and Girls’ High in 1947. In 1961, Grady became one of the first high schools in Georgia to open its doors to African-American students.
Grady is committed to excellence in public education for all students. Located in Midtown, the school is home to four small learning academies: Biotechnology and Engineering, Business and Entrepreneurship, Communication and Journalism, and Public Policy and Justice. Each academy offers instruction for students at all levels of academic proficiency.
At Grady, students from diverse backgrounds work together in an atmosphere of mutual respect and friendship.